Jamaican Toni-Ann Miller, in a courageous act of selflessness, rushed into a burning building to save the lives of two children.
A year following the incident, Toni-Ann, now 11, is being recognized by the country for her bravery and is to be conferred with a Badge of Honour for Gallantry at the National Honours and Awards Ceremony, to be held on National Heroes Day, Monday, October 20, on the lawns of King’s House.
» Congratulations Toni-Ann sweetie!!! You are one very brave and blessed little girl!! «
"I think the act of carrying something that is normally found in our bedroom out into the light is supposed to mirror the way I’ve talked to the media and talked to different news channels, etc," Emma continues in the full video which you can watch here.
So, I just want to go into HOW MUCH Columbia and the NYPD has failed, and revictimized, Emma Sulkowitz.
In her school hearing, Sulkowitz ” had to explain to the three administrators on the panel how anal rape worked. She told them she had been hit across the face, choked and pinned down, but, she said, one still seemed confused about how it was possible for someone to penetrate her there without lubricant. Sulkowicz said she had to draw them a diagram.”
"Her best friend was meant to be at the hearing; Sulkowicz had chosen her as her one “supporter.” But her friend was kicked out of that role for talking about the case, according to Sulkowicz, in violation of the university’s confidentiality policy. As punishment, her friend was also put on probation and made to write two reflection papers: one from the perspective of Sulkowicz and another from the accused."
FROM THE PERSPECTIVE
OF HER FRIEND’S RAPIST
- Two other women at Columbia have accused this guy of sexual assault/rape. But he’s been found not responsible in all instances, and is still on campus
- When she went to the police, one officer said: “”You invited him into your room. That’s not the legal definition of rape.”
- Another officer told her friends, who came with her: ““For every single rape I’ve had, I’ve had 20 that are total bull——,” he added. “It’s also my type of job to get to the truth. If that means being harsh about it, that’s what I do.”
I want to set literally everything on fire.
"Gulabi Gang" is a gang of women in India who track down and beat abusive husbands with brooms.
this is too thug not to reblog
That’s not all they do - they’ve got more information on their website.
What else they do that is awesome:
- Stop child marriages
- Persuade families to educate girl-child
- Train women in self-defense
- Oppose corruption in administration
- Create awareness about the evils of dowry
- Register FIRs against sex-offenders and abusive husbands
- Publicly shame molesters
- Encourage women to become financially independent
Yesssssssss. Female empowerment is a wonderful thing.
This is pure gold
Last Night in Ferguson (10.21.14): A state senator was arrested (and mama may have been legally packing), one of the lead organizers, nettaaaaaaaa, was roughed up by police, and one of the main sources of footage/live feeds, Rebel Z, was detained in what seems to have been an intimidation and straight up harassment tactic. The police are out of control, and it’s only getting worse. If you think this is over, you need to look again. #staywoke #farfromover
Ferguson is still happening. Are you still paying attention?
and the award for the best use of that gif in human history goes to whoever made this.